Using the Lookup Tool from the Browser
The query page provides an interface for entering queries.
The results page lists all of the entries found by the Lookup Tool that could be
relevant to the entered word.
Clicking on one of the links in the results table opens an entry in one of the
Clicking on the "results as xml" link returns the results on the current page as xml; this provides added functionality to the xml-rpc tool
The entry page provides a single dictionary entry
Clicking on the "link" image in the toolbar causes all of the words in the
entry to be "looked up" by the Lookup Tool.
Access to the Lookup Tool may also be easily added to any HTML page by
Paste the following tag into the "head" element of any HTML
Clicking on any word on the page will now open a link to the Lookup Tool, and
will cause the Lookup Tool to look for entries appropriate to that word in a
given language. In this example, the language is Italian.
Six languages are currently supported. To use one of the other supported
langauges, just replace the url after
"script source=" above with one of these:
- Latin: http://archimedes.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/arch/js/dict/dict.la.js
- Ancient Greek: http://archimedes.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/arch/js/dict/dict.el.js
- Italian: http://archimedes.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/arch/js/dict/dict.it.js
- French: http://archimedes.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/arch/js/dict/dict.fr.js
- Dutch: http://archimedes.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/arch/js/dict/dict.nl.js
- German: http://archimedes.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/arch/js/dict/dict.de.js
Note: the scripts for German, French, and Dutch open links to external dictionaries.
- lang: ( la | fr | el | nl | de | it )
- w: the word to be analyzed
- step: ( table | remotetable | entry)
- table: analyze value of w and return a table of relevant entries
- remotetable: analyze value of w and redirect to an external dictionary website
- entry: return an entry from dictionary in dict for word in head
- head: the headword for which a dictionary entry from dictionary specified
in dict is to be displayed
- link: ( 1 ) link the words on an entry page back to the Lookup Tool
- inword: the word originally submitted for lookup
- dict: indicate the dictionary from which to display an entry